- Mar 2013 - Layer's first lines of code are written.
- Sep 2013 - Layer is announced at TechCrunch Disrupt in San Francisco.
Layer wins the TechCrunch Disrupt Battlefield.
- Nov 2013 - Layer's early access program starts with a few selected partners.
- Mar 2014 - SV Angel, AME Ventures, Greycroft and others invest in Layer.
Layer's early access program expands.
- Oct 2014 - Layer's service is production ready with a handful of paying customers.
- Feb 2015 - After an extensive early access program, Layer opens up to everyone.
Layer releases an iOS version of the open-source UI kit for messaging.
- May 2015 - Layer powers over 100 live applications.
- Jun 2015 - Layer releases the Platform API, enabling application-to-user messaging, including announcements.
- Oct 2015 - Layer releases Client API, enabling web and desktop messaging application.
- Nov 2015 - Layer powers over 300 live applications including Hinge, Udacity, Trunk Club and Onefootball.
- Feb 2016 - Layer's Webhooks enable real-time external services integration.
- Apr 2016 - The Layer Web SDK, powering mobile and desktop messaging experiences in browsers and hybrid applications, is production ready.
- Jun 2016 - Layer launches a Messaging Design Kit for Sketch to help product designers craft better messaging experiences.